Dr. James Smyth (1681-1765) was the son of the Rev. William Smyth of Moneydie, and in turn took on landed estates which encompassed Aithernie Castle in Fife. His daughter Margaret married in to the powerful Carmichael clan, with her son James, under the terms of her father’s will, changing his name to Carmichael Smyth. James Carmichael Smyth led quite a distinguished life. He graduated with a Doctor of Medicine; became Physician Extraordinary to King George III; twice received the thanks of Parliament and a grant of £5,000 for valuable public services; was twice Censor of Royal College of Physicians; invested as a Fellow of the Royal Society; held the position of 23rd Chief of the Name and Arms of Carmichael; and claimed the dormant titles of Earl of Hyndford, Viscount Inglisberry and Nemphlar, Lord Carmichael of Carmichael, Lord Carmichael and Baronet Carmichael.